I am a librarian, cataloger and IT specialist at a public library in rural Florida. In 2011, I received my Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from Florida State University. I specialized in digital media and special collections. I also have a B.A. from FSU in Political Science and Interdisciplinary Social Science. I believe studying traditional media and digital media together, and taking an interdisciplinary approach to public service, is the best way to gain an understanding of the challenges, opportunities and big questions in information science.
I live in a tiny house near a pecan grove near Florida’s Nature Coast. I’m a radio and small electronics hobbyist, and I occasionally write science fiction. I am active on Twitter, where I run #libchat every week. You can also get in touch with me through my contact page.
- Honoree, Florida State University “Thirty Under Thirty” Award – 2013
- Master of Science, Library and Information Science – Florida State University – 2011
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and Interdisciplinary Social Science – Florida State University – 2007
- Fulbright English Teaching Assistant (ETA) – Ponorogo, Indonesia – 2007
- Florida State University “Student Star” – 2007
- AmeriCorps*National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) alumna – 2004
- Graduate education and training in digital media, technology and networking, and special collections.
- Librarian, cataloger and IT specialist at a public library in rural Florida. Oversaw the transition from proprietary library management software to open-source library management software in 2011.
- Secured $40,000 in public and private funding to turn a storage room into a public computer lab.
- Organized drop-in tech clinic at the library for smartphones, e-readers, laptops and other mobile devices.
- Founder and moderator of #libchat, Twitter’s longest-running library chat.
- Developed “Science Camp @ the Library,” a science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) summer camp for elementary school kids.
- Wikipedian. Editing articles on library science, information science and the media.
- Red Cross Volunteer. Deployable nationally to provide tech support for disaster relief operations.
- Amateur (ham) radio operator. Working with electronics for communication and science education for kids. Pinged the International Space Station in 2013.
- Advocate. I am very active on the issues of state funding for public libraries, STEM education, rural broadband, copyright reform and open culture. I write lots of letters and bend lots of ears. On legislative days you can find me going door to door at the state capitol chatting with local lawmakers about the benefits of libraries.